Dad’s 60th Birthday Weekend

Alek and Rabbit closer

This past weekend saw a majority of the family heading to Coffs Harbour to celebrate my Dad’s 60th Birthday. Jeez time flies.

It was a great weekend, my sister, nephew and I flying up without Dad knowing and arriving for Birthday drinks with family and friends.

These drinks went well into the night and as we do as a family, drinking opens our mouths and minds. We have a tendency to talk about anything and everything. Sometimes an eye-opener. Sometimes just a little sad.

Friday saw a day at the beach followed by a trip to the Big Banana and a spot of shopping at Park Beach Plaza. We were trapped for a while as the beautiful sunny weather of the morning turned incredibly nasty and was storming.

Friday night, with the storm having passed, we kids decided to hit the town, to see what has happened to the scene over the few years since we had ventured there. Unbeknownst to Dad some other visitors had arrived for Dinner on Saturday night and joined us on Friday some dinner, drinking and dancing.

Alek was staying with Dad and Helen and around 11 pm decided it was time he came back to his mum. Jennifer, Brian and Jill decided to call it a night, but I was keen to kick it on with my cousins and their partners. It was a great night and I didn’t actually make it to sleep that night.

I did however, along with my brave cousin Brooke, have my first Jager Bomb (Jagermister and Redbull). While I caught up on some sleep on Saturday, the rest of my family headed to the beach again. Saturday was hot, hot, hot. A perfect Coffs Harbour beach day, and I was sleeping it away.

Saturday night we all headed off to the Coffs Harbour RSL Club for a big dinner. Having had a big one the night before, and knowing I had an early flight Sunday morning I refrained from alcohol, preferring post-mix soft drink instead. After arriving home from dinner, we all packed for our early departure and around midnight headed out to clean the hire car, in an attempt to remove some of the sand we had removed from the beach.

Scary thing for our departure was that Sunday was also the first day of daylight savings. We had to put our clocks forward an hour and I was panicking a little that we’d miss our flight. Turns out I need not have worried. I set my phone forward only to find out the next morning that it would do it automatically and work me up an hour earlier than expected.

Before going to sleep I had a little freak out moment. I’m sure it was helped out by my limited sleep over the weekend but I was starting to wonder if aliens or other had invaded Coffs. My Dad’s house backs onto a motel, and I noticed when I switched off my bedroom light that there was a very bright flashing coming from a room at the motel.

It was really, really bright, lighting the entire room with each illumination and it was presenting in a fixed pattern. It got to the point that I had to call Jennifer to come take a look.

The light appeared to be coming from a fluorescent globe mounted vertical on the wall. But as I said it was way too bright to be a standard fluro. In the end I called the motel and asked them to check it out. As there was only one person on she decided that she didn’t want to go outside alone to check it out and opted instead to turn off all of the motel lights from the central board.

Even after she did this, the strobing continued. In the end I had to hang a blanket over the window and go to bed. It was certainly freaky.

The other freaky thing for me about the weekend is that I had to go it alone. David stayed back in Melbourne cause he’s kind of new in his job and has limited leave. He needed to save some for his parents’ visit next month, not to mention the week we have to take off at Christmas. Jody, his sister, came down for the weekend to keep him company, so it’s all good.

So there it is, my weekend in Coffs Harbour. It’s a lovely place, shame it is so far away from Melbourne or I’d visit a whole lot more.

The other weird thing for me was the flying from Melbourne to Sydney to Coffs all in a day. It was so odd going to Sydney and never leaving the airport. Thankfully my mum and brother came into the airport to drop Jennifer and Alek off so I got some time to catch up with them, having not seen them for quite a while.

Leave a comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.