Can you say “YUM!”, You’ll need to be able to if you’re going to eat these vegan peanut butter cupcakes.
I really should stop being surprised when something vegan tastes so good. I mean there are a lot of vegans in the world and they have this reputation of being lettuce, legume and lentil eaters but really they are laughing behind our backs as they munch on wonderfully delicious food.
I still didn’t get to make the carrot cupcakes, David doesn’t like walnuts and while I could leave them out, I do like them, so next time I’ll have to make two lots of cakes.
Now I know these don’t look so hot, they have sunken a little in the middle and that’s 100% my own fault. I’ve watched too many cooking shows where you’re told to spin what you’re cooking so it cooks evenly and in doing that I buggered it up and let all the air out of my cupcakes that were rising so nicely. I now know not to do this with cupcakes and also that it’s not really required as we have a fan-forced oven, so in theory we don’t have hotspots in the oven, rather our oven is basked it even heat.
If by chance you go ahead and make them, I know you’ll agree they are amazing. Oh and I’d probably apply a better ganache or a frosting that complements the peanut buttery taste. Then again maybe leave them plain. I used an organic 70% cocoa dark chocolate that made the ganache a little too bitter for my liking, so I’m going to leave it out of this record of the day. Half the fun of baking is learning new things.
Ingredients for Peanut Butter Cupcakes
- ¾ cup soy milk
- 2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar
- ½ cup natural chunky peanut butter
- 1/3 cup canola oil
- 2/3 cup granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons dark molasses
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 teaspoons ground flaxseed
- 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon backing soda
- ¼ teaspoon salt
Method for Peanut Butter Cupcakes
- Preheat oven to 180°C (350°F). Line a cupcake pan with liners.
- Mix soy mil with vinegar in a measuring cup and set aside to curdle.
- In a large mixing bowl, cream the peanut butter, oil, sugar, molasses, vanilla, and ground flaxseeds until well combined.
- Add the soy milk mixture and ix until incorporated.
- Sift the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt into a separate bowl and mix.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet and mix until just combined.
- Fill the cupcake liners two thirds full.
- Bake for 23 to 26 minutes.
- Remove from oven and transfer to cooling racks.
Oh yeah, and this is what everyone’s kitchen looks like when they cook right?