Now I know I’ve bought some gadgets in my time. AND I know that just two or three days ago I told two different people that I was over my gadget phase… then this baby came along. My Nokia N95, and never a sweeter toy have I had (except for my battery operated record player which I used to play my Abba records on when I was seven, but let’s not go there).
The N95 is:
- a phone (quad-band GSM),
- a VoIP phone,
- a camera (5 MP, uhuh not a typo… 5 Mega pixels),
- an iPod replacement (shit did I just write that?),
- a radio,
- a video player,
- a voice recorder,
- a video recorder (DVD quality),
- a Podcast directory (audio and video),
- a Podcast creator,
- a barcode scanner (don’t question the value of that),
- an office document creator (quickword, quickcells, quickpresentation),
- pdf viewer (with Acrobat Lite),
- a way to Blog (but only to Vox which is cool cause I have an account there),
- a way to send pix to Flickr AND (this is my favourite)…
- this little tiny phone (which Nokia calls “what computers have become”) is also a GPS device, with full tracking*.
We just now arrived home from testing it with maps it downloaded over Wi-Fi here at home. We are currently downloading the East Australia maps on the PC and they are currently installing on David’s 1GB MicroSD card, which also came with the phone.
All that for the lowly price of $630 to be paid over 24 months (works out to be just over $20/month), plus the cap.
I hear y’all who know me scream, “but weren’t you waiting for the iPhone”, and yep I was. But given that the iPhone is probably still a couple of years away from coming here I thought “what the hell”, besides I get lost so often and have been after a GPS device for so long the Nokia N95 is a welcome relief.
So don’t y’all rush out and get one, I don’t want it to become too popular (read “common”) but I’m sure it will.
Off to play some more, I’ve just encoded a full movie to put on the phone to see what it looks like… sweet!
* The route creator and vocal directions come at a cost of $110/year or you can pay $14/month.